- Construction Lawyer of the Year (Best Lawyers Canada).
- Award of Excellence (The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators).
- Zenith Award (Change Agent in Law)(Lexpert®).
- Jock Tindale Memorial Award (Ontario General Contractors Association).
- Global Construction Lawyer of the Year (Who’s Who Legal).
- Construction Litigator of the Year (Benchmark Canada Awards).
- Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada (Canadian Lawyer).
- Donald P. Giffin, Sr. Construction Industry Achievement Award (Toronto Construction Association).
- Toronto Construction Law “Lawyer of the Year” (Best Lawyers Canada).
ACCL Membership Directory
R. Bruce Reynolds
- Co-Managing Partner, Construction and Infrastructure
- Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP
- 150 King Street West, Suite 2512
- Toronto, Ontario, M5H 1J9 Canada
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (416) 585-8601
- Company Phone: (416) 585-8600
- Fax: (416) 585-9458
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Arts University of Toronto (Victoria College) 1978
- Graduate: FCIArb. Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2012
- Law School: Bachelor of Laws University of Toronto Law School 1981
Honors and Activities
Bruce Reynolds has earned a stellar reputation in the construction industry for settling disputes and drafting and negotiating contracts. Who’s Who Legal has recognized him as “one of the foremost construction practitioners in the world,” while his clients have praised him for his legal skills, integrity and clarity of insight.
Bruce is Co-Managing Partner and Co-Chair of the firm’s International Construction Projects Group. He specializes in the resolution of construction and insurance claims, liens, surety bond claims, product liability issues, and architects’ and engineers’ errors and omissions issues. In addition, he advises clients on construction projects in Canada, the United States and overseas.
Together with his colleague Sharon Vogel, he played a significant role in helping the Ontario government modernize the province’s construction law and helped to shape the Construction Act. Among the changes to the legislation are the creation of a prompt payment regime and the introduction of a mandatory interim binding dispute resolution system. He was also retained as Counsel by the federal government of Canada to assist in the introduction of new legislation on prompt payment and adjudication, co-authoring the independent expert report Building a Federal Framework for Prompt Payment and Adjudication.
He has been certified as a specialist in construction law by the Law Society of Upper Canada. He is a Fellow of both the Canadian and American Colleges of Construction Lawyers, Vice-president of the International Academy of Construction Lawyers, and past Co-Chair of the International Construction Projects Committee of the International Bar Association.
Bruce has been recognized twice as Global Construction Lawyer of the Year by Who’s Who Legal and as Toronto Construction Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers. He is listed in Chambers Global (Band 1) and Martindale-Hubbell (AV), and he is also recognized in the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (construction law) and the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory.
Representative Articles, Publications, Speeches and Seminars
- Co-Author, Construction Builders’ and Mechanics’ Liens in Canada, 8th Edition, Thomson Reuters
- Co-Author, A Guide to Canadian Construction Insurance Law, Carswell, (with Sharon Vogel)
- Co-Author, Construction Builders’ and Mechanics’ Liens in Canada, 7th Edition (two volumes), Carswell
- Co-Author, Scott and Reynolds on Surety Bonds (two volumes, supplemented twice annually), Carswell, (with K.W. Scott, QC)
- Co-author, “Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration”, Lexology, July, 2021
- Co-author, Construction Law (Canada) Chapter, Chambers Global Construction Law Guide, 2021
- Co-author, “Carillion, the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and Construction Lien Act Trusts: Confusion (again) regarding certainty of subject matter and commingling of funds”, May, 2021
- Co-author, “Callow v Zollinger: Developments in the Duty of Honest Performance and Good Faith’s Uncertain Future”, December, 2020
- Co-author, “Atlantic Lottery Corp v Babstock: Waiver of Tort Steps Out of the 17th Century, but Uncertainty Persists”, August, 2020
- C0-author, “Uber v Heller – The Evolution of Unconscionability”, July, 2020
- Co-author, “Construction Act to be Exempt from Suspension of Procedural Time Limits”, April, 2020
- Co-author, “Extended Hours for Construction of Essential Projects in the Health Care Sector”, April, 2020
- Co-author, “COVID-19 – Health and Safety Implications”, March, 2020
- Author, “The Enforceability of the Adjudicator’s Determination and the Potential for Judicial Intervention: Quite a Hill to Climb”, Construction Law Letter | Volume 36, December 2019
- Featured in “A Report on the Introduction of Prompt Payment and Adjudication: Legislation in The Province of Ontario”, International Construction Law Review Journal, January 21, 2019
- Co-Author, “Security of Payment in the Construction Industry: Does International Experience Provide a Crystal Ball for North America?,” Construction Law Journal, November 2018
- Co-Author, A New Construction Act – What Has Changed and How Will It Affect P3 Projects?, Lexpert Special Edition on Infrastructure, September 2018
- Featured, “CEO Power Breakfast, Striking a fine balance – The two masterminds behind the Lien Act Review discuss the challenges in balancing freedom of contract with the need for more regulation,” Builders’ Digest“
- Co-Author, “Getting the Deal Through: Construction “, Law Business Research Ltd,. Reproduced with permission from Law Business Research Ltd. This article was first published in Getting the Deal Through: Construction, (contributing editors: Robert S Peckar and Michael S Zicherman, Peckar & Abramson PC)
- Author, “The Fog of War,” Construction Law Letter, Volume 30, Number 4
- Author, “Insurance issues relevant to cranes,” Lawyers Weekly, (with Sharon Vogel)
- Author, “The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on the Construction Sector and the Construction Bar”, Journal of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Author, “An Analysis of Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. British Columbia: Or, If It Walks Like a Duck,” International Construction Law Review, (with Sharon Vogel)
- Co-Author, “A Report on the Introduction of Prompt Payment and Adjudication: Legislation in The Province of Ontario” The International Construction Law Review, January 2019
← Return to Previous Page