THE PIERSON ADVISORY GROUP LLC (1/2015-present)
President (1/2015-present) – The Pierson Advisory Group was founded by George Pierson to advise and assist senior executives in removing obstacles to success. Many organizations face one or more seemingly intractable issues that impede their strategic development. Often these issues are complex and multidimensional, requiring the application of diverse skills. This is where The Pierson Advisory Group adds value.
WSP GLOBAL, INC. (11/2014-present)
Non-Executive Director (11/2014-present) – WSP Global (a TSX traded company), together with Parsons Brinckerhoff, provides services to transform the built environment and restore the natural environment. Our expertise ranges from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, and from developing the energy sources of the future to enabling new ways of extracting essential resources.
PARSONS BRINCKERHOFF GROUP, INC. (2/2006-12/2014)
President and Chief Executive Officer (1/2010-present) – lead a team of 14,000 in the worldwide provision of professional services in the transportation, buildings, power, energy, water and mining sectors with revenues in excess of $2.5 B in 150 offices on five continents.
Selected major global achievements:
- Generated approximately $1.4 B in total shareholder value over five years;
- Led business acquired for $448 M and five years later sold the business for $1.243 B (net of cash);
- Transformed employee-owned culture into financially disciplined publically traded company;
- Increased profitability by 50% and margins by 34% under some of the most difficult trading conditions the industry faced in several generations; and
- Recruited superior senior management team with global expertise and developed three well-qualified CEO succession candidates.
President and Chief Operating Officer, Americas and Member, Board of Directors (1/2008-12/2009) – led more than 5,000 Americas professionals in the transportation, power, energy and water sectors. Selected major achievements:
- Assumed responsibility for operations rocked by Big Dig crisis and a recently failed re-organization;
- Restructured business to re-emphasize technical excellence and client service;
- Exited unprofitable businesses;
- Stabilized business and stemmed exodus of senior technical talent; and
- Led Americas operations in strategic development of corporate structuring and ultimate sale.
Senior Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel (2/2006-12/2007) – led the legal, insurance and risk management function of the global operations. Selected major achievements:
- Led crisis management team response to Big Dig ceiling collapse and criminal investigation, personally negotiating global resolution preventing company bankruptcy;
- Introduced first comprehensive risk management analysis and tracking systems.
PECKAR & ABRAMSON P.C. (1/2003-1/2006)
Partner and Director of International Construction Practice Group – successfully represented US Airways in trial of $15 M claim arising from Philadelphia International Airport construction and lead counsel representing Turkish Government on construction claims arising from $1.3 B crude oil pipeline.
KVAERNER PLC (formerly Davy plc) (8/1992-12/2002)
Executive Vice President/Legal Director (1/1999-2/2002) – for engineering, technology and construction division with $2 B in revenue and 9,000 employees in 30 countries.
- Led fast-track $100 M sale of English-based business units that closed 25 days after initial meeting;
- Led $48 M sale of 39 subsidiaries in France achieving price 20% in excess of target set by CEO.
Various Roles (1992-1998) – (1) managed all litigation in Americas; (2) strategic, commercial and legal responsibility for 1,500 person international engineering and construction unit in mining sector; (3) P/L lead for $25 M environmental remediation business – increased profit margins on bid projects by 28%.
FARELLA BRAUN & MARTEL (7/1990-8/1992)
Litigation Associate – state and federal litigation practice concentrating on construction disputes.
CAMP, DESSSER & McKEE (6/1985-8/1987)
Environmental Engineer – project and construction engineer on various water resources projects.
Honors and Awards
- ENR 2014 Top 25 Newsmaker, Engineering News-Record (2015)
- EFCG 2014 CEO of the Year, EFCG (2014)
- The National Academy of Construction, Member (2014)
- Chi Epsilon, Civil Engineering Alumni of the Year, Bucknell University (2013)
- Department of Athletics, Alumni Athlete Achievement Award, Bucknell University (2012)
- “Good Scout” Award, New York Chapter of the Boy Scouts of America (2012)
- Industry Recognition Award, New York Building Congress (2012)
- Parcel-Sverdrup Civil Engineering Management Award, the American Society of Civil Engineers (2012)
- The Moles, Member (2010)
- Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award, Bucknell University (2010)
- Chambers USA, Americas Leading Business Lawyers (2005), Named leading construction lawyer stating:
Enthusiastic clients praised George Pierson to the skies. Some valued his “long years in industry, which gives him a sound commercial edge”, while others emphasized, “the technical know-how that comes from being a qualified engineer.” He is also popular because he is a “witty and entertaining” person to work with.