- Assistant General Counsel, Wash Metropolitan Area transit Authority 1973-1978
- Chairman, MDOT BCA 1978-1980
- Chairman, Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals, 1980-1985
- Partner, Lewis, Mitchell & Moore 1985-87
- Senior Partner, Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP 1987- Present
ACCL Membership Directory
Lewis J. Baker
- Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P.
- Suite 1000
1765 Greensboro Station Place
- McLean, Virginia 22102
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 703-749-1001
- Cell: 240-426-7512
- Company Phone: 703-749-1000
- Fax: 703-893-8029
- Undergraduate: B.S., Civil Engineering University of Maryland, 1969
- Law School: University of Maryland, J.D., 1973
- American Bar Association
- Public Contract Law Section, Maryland State Chairman, 1984-1987 and 2004-2005
- Former Chairman, Public Contract Law Section Construction Claims Committee
- Former Vice Chairman, Construction Division of the Public Contract Law Section
- Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- Litigation Section
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Special Committee to Revise Maryland Procurement Laws (1977-80)
- Administrative Law – Section Council
- Special Committee on State and Local Public Contracts, 1977-1981
- Construction Litigation Subcommittee, Litigation Section, 1981 to 1995
- Administrative Law Committee Section Council, 1985-1994
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, Alternate Dispute Resolution and Construction Law categories
- Chambers USA – list of Top Construction Lawyers in Virginia
- Who’s Who in International Construction Law – 2005 – Present
- Virginia SuperLawyers
Representative Articles, Publications, Speeches and Seminars
- Editor: Construction Claims Online
- Construction Group Advisory Board: Construction Contracts Law Report
- Author: “Americans With Disabilities Act: Construction Industry Considerations;” Construction Briefings, July 2003.
- Speaker: “Just When You Thought It Couldn’t Get Any Worse! The Absence Of Standing On A Government Claim,” presented to the Boards of Contract Appeals Judges Association, April 9, 2003.
- Author: “Ambiguities In Contract Documents,” Construction Briefings, 2002.
- Author: “Procurement Disputes at the State and Local Level: A Look for Fairness Among the Hodgepodge of Available Remedies,” Public Contract Law Journal, Winter, 1996.
- Author: “Ambiguities In Contract Documents.” Construction Briefings, No. 2002-12, 2000.
- Author, “Latent Defects Under Federal Contracts”, Construction Briefings No. 96-10, 196
- Co-Author, “Guaranteed Maximum Price Contracts,” Construction Briefings No. 87-10, 1987
- “Lessons Learned: Project Schedules – How Do You Determine What Best Suits You and Your Project’s Needs and How Do You Use It (and Avoid It Using You?; Presented to the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry on April 13, 2007
- “Nuts and Bolts of a Public-Private Partnership; Presented to the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry (Fall Meeting, 2013)
- Frequent speaker for such organizations as Federal Publications, Inc., Andrews Conference’s Construction Superconferences, the American Bar Association, NBI, Lorman, the Maryland Institute for Continuing Education of Lawyers (MICPEL), Georgetown University, the Maryland Highway Contractors Association, and the Boards of Contract Appeals Judges Association. Also served as an instructor in contract law for the University of Maryland’s Civil Engineering School and Construction Management Program.
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1975
- Maryland Court of Appeals, 1973
- Virginia Supreme Court, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Various U.S. District Courts and Courts of Appeal
Code Revision Task Force, Maryland State Finance and Procurement Article, 1986-87
← Return to Previous Page