- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Construction, 2005 – 2019
- Best Lawyers, Construction, 2007 – 2019
- Best Lawyers, Construction Lawyer of the Year, Boston, 2013 and 2017
ACCL Membership Directory
- Commonsense Construction Law LLC
- 44 Park Street
- Andover, Massachusetts 01810
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 617-227-0141
- Cell: 617-308-6962
- Company Phone: 617-725-0262
- Undergraduate: B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1977
- Law School: J.D. Boston College Law School 1984
Honors and Activities
- 2015 – present Commonsense Construction Law LLC
- 2010 – 2015 Duane Morris LLP, Partner
- 2001 – 2010 Holland & Knight LLP, Partner
- 1984 – 2001 Gadsby Hannah LLP (f/k/a Gadsby & Hannah)
Associate, 1984 – 1991; General Partner, 1992 – 2001.
- 1977 – 1984 Stan Martin, Designer/Builder
Owner of construction company specializing in light commercial and custom residential construction.
Architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, sureties, manufacturers, institutional owners, public authorities, private developers.
Conducted more than 100 trials, including arbitrations, bench and jury trials. Courtroom experience is in both state and federal courts. Conducted even larger number of mediations as a party advocate. Acted as arbitrator in more than 40 cases.
Negotiated owner/contractor, owner/designer, developer/lessee, contractor/subcontractor, designer/sub-consultant, and surety/obligee contracts, as well as joint venture, design/build and turnkey agreements.
- Practice Group Management.
Former practice group head; have prepared business plans, prepared and presented associate training courses on construction law and litigation, and have compiled manual for practice group attorneys; developed and organized group marketing.
Business and Professional Associations
- Boston Architectural College, f/k/a Boston Architectural Center (Secretary and Board Member, 2000 – 2004)
- Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts (Board Member, 1999 – 2001; Advisory Council 2015 – )
- Boston Society of Architects (Member, Corporate Advisory Council, 1998 – 1999)
- American Bar Association (Section of Public Contract Law: Vice Chair, 1997 – 1999, Construction Division; Chair, 1995 – 1997, Dispute Resolution Committee; Chair, 1993 – 1995, Architect/Engineer Services Committee)
- Massachusetts Bar Association (Chair, 1993 – 1994, Public Law Section; Chair, 1991 – 1993, Construction and Public Contracts Committee)
- Massachusetts Construction Industry Council (President, 1988 – 1989)
- American Arbitration Association (Member, National Panel of Construction Arbitrators, 1993 – 2013)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Lecturer in construction law, 2000 – 2001
- Northeastern University, Lecturer in public construction law, 1988 – 1995
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Co-taught construction law course, 1996 and 1999
- Federal Publications, Basics of Government Contracting, various locations/dates, 1996 – 1999
- Have spoken numerous times to trade association and bar association groups on all aspects of construction law, government contract law and risk management.
- ABA Committee on Dispute Resolution
- ABA Forum on Construction
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Massachusetts Building Congress
Representative Articles, Publications, Speeches and Seminars
- Co-Editor, Construction Law Handbook, 3rd Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2017)
- Chapter Author, Project Delivery Systems for Construction (Associated General Contractors of America, 2004)
- Chapter Author, Design Professional and Construction Manager Law (ABA, 2006)
- Contributing author to Annual Construction Law Update since 1995.
- Mechanic’s Liens, Performance and Payment Bonds Under Massachusetts Law (Camb. Institute, 1998)
- Co-Author, Architect/Engineer Liability Under Massachusetts Law (Camb. Institute, 1990)
- Co-Author, Massachusetts Construction Law (PESI, 2005)
- “Construction Contract Remedies and Damages” (Massachusetts Law Review, December 1991)
- Author, “Construction Damages” chapter, for Damages in Massachusetts Litigation (MCLE, 4th Edition 2013)
- Author of numerous newspaper, trade journal, bar association and seminar articles on construction industry, construction law and procurement issues.
- Massachusetts, 1985
- New Hampshire, 1986
Andover Committee for A Better Chance – Board Member, 1981 – 1984
United Way of Massachusetts, Real Estate and Building Industry Committee – Member, 2006 – 2009
Edgewood Retirement Community – Board Member, 2001 – 2013; President, 2010 – 2012.
Wilson Memorial Chapel, Ocean Point, Maine – Trustee, 2008 – ; President, 2009 – .
← Return to Previous Page